Monday 17 August 2009

i travelled back in time

so a few days ago i travelled back in time to 1998 and sat at my old desk at my old college and i drew some scribbles, and an hour or so later screen printed them on fabric...ta dah... it was as easy as that. and here is a sneak peek...
i graduated from ravensbourne college of design and communication in 1998, with a degree in fashion and textiles, the college was sad to see me go as they said i was the best student they had ever had and would ever likely have..(i wish), and until last week i had never been back, and to say i was slightly freaked out by walking into my old building, the place where i kinda grew up, was just a bit bonkers, but i sat at my old desk, and literally just doodled away a rough idea i had, got it exposed onto a screen and had it printed, no tests, no plans, just do it and see.. and this is what i got.. and i love it, as with the way i work, i embrace happy accidents, and it just so happened that the screen was quite imperfect, and not only my exposed image printed on the fabric, as you can see it has smudges and marks, but to me this gives the print life. and gives it that used hand made effect that i wanted.. and after the print had dried and been heat pressed to seal the pigment, i washed it lots to really fade down the intensity of the black, so it now looks more charcoal grey than stark black. I'm not sure what ill be making, but i think you know and i know what some of these will end up as ?.. trays for plates for eating dinner in front of the TV...also known as cushions... or is that just me that does this ?..so watch this space.

3 comments:

sko_G knits said...

you are not the only one, brother.

Sarah said...

I like it! I use a properly designed lap tray-oh dear! Though this week we have actually sat at the table, until I covered it in paint, sketch book, glue etc-now it is back to the trays. It's good that you could use the facilities of your college-look forward to seeing the results!

Chubby Chieque said...

Hi,
Am loittering around the net and ended up in your cool blogsite.

Job well done, man...
/R